Sandwell Business Grants Information
West Bromwich Town BID is in daily contact with Sandwell Council, other BIDs and Governing Bodies to ensure that we provide the information and support your business needs on a regular basis. We have already been speaking with many of our Levy Payers via WhatsApp, Email and social media channels for news of upcoming information and support.
In response to Covid-19, the Government has announced grant schemes to support small businesses and businesses in the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors which are currently liable for Business Rates.
There are two schemes:
Scheme 1: Small Business Rate Support Grant
Eligible businesses in receipt of Small Business Rates Relief, with a rateable value of £15,000 or less will receive a £10,000 grant.
Scheme 2: Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Business Grants
Eligible businesses in the retail, hospitality or leisure industry will receive:
A £10,000 grant where the business has a rateable value of £15,000 or less, who are not eligible for Small Business Rate Relief; or
A £25,000 grant where the business has a rateable value between £15,001 and £50,999.
Only one grant can be awarded per property and to qualify you must be the ratepayer and must have been occupying the premises on 11 March 2020.
What do SMBC need from you:
You will need to provide further information, to do this please go online at:
and complete the form making sure you answer all the questions so that SMBC can determine if you are eligible. If you are eligible, the grant will be paid into your bank account via BACS.
- If you have a Mysandwell account the link should take you straight to the form.
- If you don’t, you will have to set up a Mysandwell account (Name, email address & password)….. then you will get an email asking you to confirm your registration of the set-up of the mysandwell account (It’s clicking on a link in the email)….. Once you have done that you will be taken to the grant application form.
- Sounds complex but the process to set up a new mysandwell account takes under 5 mins
Please be advised that you will require your Business Rates account number (8 digits beginning with a ‘5’), 0on the application form.
We appreciate that these are difficult times and SMBC will deal with all applications as quickly as possible.
We are expecting a high number of requests, so we would ask for your patience. If SMBC need any further information they will contact you directly.
Please note that certain exclusions apply:
- The grant cannot be paid if the property is occupied for personal use e.g. private stables and loose boxes, moorings, or used as a car park and parking spaces.
- The grant cannot be paid if the business was in liquidation or insolvent on 11 March 2020.
- The grant cannot be paid if the property has a rateable value of £51,000 or over.
- Any changes to the rateable value of the property after 11th March 2020, including changes backdated to this date will be ignored for the purposes of eligibility.
- Only one grant may be awarded per business property
For further information, please see the links below:
For Businesses over £51,000 rateable value operating in Retail, Leisure or Hospitality, Sandwell MBC will automatically apply the Expanded Retail Discount Relief (Business Rates Relief) for 12 months from 1st April 2020.
Sandwell Council have also launched a website dedicated to Coronavirus and has some useful information that may answer any questions you may have Sandwell MBC – Coronavirus